Puerto Escondido

 Despite ending the previous week with a severe bout of food poisoning for almost 2 days (my iron stomach couldn’t handle the agua chiles shrimp….which is raw shrimp cooked in lime juice!), the past week was overall GREAT!  Coupling that with my ear pain, I definitely had a hurdle to overcome but feel like I jumped over it well!  We started the week staying at a different Airbnb that was actually closed off to the outside with real windows!  It also had AC, so we were able to comfortably enjoy our few days there without having to worry about bug bites and overheating!  It was in a different part of town called Zicatela, which is world renown for its overpowering waves!  We enjoyed our best meal out at a local beach restaurant (although, I guess they are all local beach restaurants!!!) and one of the dishes we got was a tostada topped with chapulines (grasshoppers).  We all tasted the dish and thought it was pretty good!!   I love being able to share my love of adventurous eating with Alana and love even more how receptive she is to it all!








One excursion we went on the previous week that I don’t think I mentioned was a 3 hour dolphin tour.  We woke up at 6am and eventually found our way to the beach for a 7am departure.  It was a calm, beautiful morning as we sailed away from  the shore to look for wild dolphins.  It didn’t take long before we spotted several bottle nosed porpoises gleefully gliding through the water!  We didn’t see any HUGE pods, but it was pretty fun to be able to see these creatures outside of captivity (our town in Puerto Aventuras has a Dolphinarium that we don’t support, but we still see the dolphins swimming in captivity).   We spent the rest of the day at our pool playing, sun bathing and having quality family time!  On Sunday we joined another family at a local beach club for the day which was awesome!  Pool side service, next to the ocean, entertainment for the kids and an overall great environment.  They even had a huge chess board with life size pieces that Alana was able to play with!  An absolutely great day!  The rest of the week was filled with surfing for Alana and Spanish for us.  We made it to the same beach club again during the week also!  I won’t go into much detail, but I drank a lot.  Let’s just say I had a few more hurdles to overcome the rest of that week.  I am trying not to let it get me down, and think I have done a good job of moving forward.  Overall, the past week has been pretty memorable.  My ear is feeling a bit better, we made some great family memories and I have overcome some mental hurdles that would have tripped me up even just several months ago.  I’m looking forward to going home to Puerto Aventuras.  It feels good to be able to call it my home.  It’s only been a short 4 months, but soooo much has happened!  Let’s bring on the next few weeks!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Change is on the horizon

I Licked a Toad and I Liked It

A good start!!