A good start!!

This past week has been a busy one.  I jumped full force into this new experience challenge and did several things that I’m proud of.  First, I had my first therapy session with a therapist here on Tuesday.  It was online only, but it was only $25!!!  We had a great conversation and one thing that came up is that during this journey to try new things, I need to be careful not to just be chasing a goal.  It’s so easy to set goals, and then once they are achieved, and you get that dopamine rush for a few minutes, you just crash right back down to where you were.  I need to find what triggers my serotonin levels too!!  Being a pharmacist, this made complete sense.  I need to make sure the experiences and goals I challenge myself with also have a deeper meaning and purpose for my personal growth.  Not everything I choose to do will fit into this thinking but it definitely gives me more to think about in regards to finding myself and discovering what clicks for me and creates that inner happiness.

On Wednesday, I went to Casa Cenote near Tulum with a local Mexican resident named Juan, who I met on a Facebook meetup group.  I picked him up in my car and we drove to the cenote together.  For those who don’t know what a cenote is, cenotes are natural pits or sinkholes, resulting from the collapse of limestone bedrock that exposes surface connections to subterranean water bodies. There are at least 6,000 cenotes in the Yucatán peninsula.  Cenote water is often very clear, as the water comes from rain water filtering slowly through the ground.  I got to practice Spanish with him quite a bit, and it felt really good to be out doing something on my own.  The Casa Cenote is a large open water cenote, very close to the ocean, so the current was quite strong (as the fresh water was moving toward the ocean).  Luckily I brought my long fins which really help in the water!!  Juan and I traded off and he really appreciated being able to use them.  In this cenote there is a resident crocodile and we were actually able to see it!!!  About 30 minutes into snorkeling and diving through the gorgeous jungle covered cenote, there was a moment where I dove down deep under a cove of mangrove roots and surfaced next to a rock formation in the middle of the water.  As I looked up, I saw the crocodile just lying there, sunning itself on the rock!!!  It was a beautiful site.  There were 3 different types of birds sitting next to it, and it was just me and unbridled nature.  I loved every second.  There is something magical about swimming in the cenotes, or any body of water for that matter.  As you’re submerged under water, senses deprived, you have no choice but to accept natures hug as the pressure of the water above you envelopes your every essence.  It’s beautiful.







This experience was special to me, because it was the first time I had done something on my own since being here (or in a very long time, if I’m being honest).  I had a great time and was able to make a new connection and explore a new place simultaneously.


That Wednesday night was a full moon.  One of the guys who was staying in the condo downstairs invited me to go night fishing near the marina that night.  I didn’t hesitate and said of course.  We went with a local fisherman who I have met since being here and he had an extra rod for me.  We were fishing specifically for Tarpon.  We started at sunset and finished at 1130pm  I caught a red snapper and had a great time.  It was something I had never really done before!!









On Thursday, Alana and I went to the local park to meet a 5yo girl and her dad that I met on the local Facebook page.  Another instance in which I was proud of myself because I set up this play date on my own.  I’ve taken Stacy’s planning for granted and not set up things like this in a very long time.  We both had a great time and it felt great to meet someone who lives here full time like us for the time being!!  We ended Thursday by have a date night in Playa Del Carmen, when we dropped off Alana for 4hrs at a local babysitter!!  We had some time a lone to talk and have fun then met with another couple for dinner!  I ended the night with an offer to join his local basketball league, which is something I would really love to do if my body permits it!!!  More on that to come!!!


On Friday, I woke up bright and early and went deep sea fishing!!!  The same gentleman I went night fishing with booked a charter boat our of Puerto Aventuras.  It was me, him and one other guy who lives in Playa del Carmen.  They were both German. One was 60, the other, my age, and we all got a long really well and had a great time.  It felt great to be out on the water, in the middle of the ocean fishing.  Everything else on land, felt so inconsequential.  The ocean is so vast and powerful, it commands your attention.  On land, it’s easy to forget purpose, but the sea demands it.  Over the 6 hours, we caught 4 Mahi Mahi of all varying sizes.  No marlin or sailfish on that trip, but we had an amazing time and got enough fish to bring home and feed our families!









Overall, this week was an eye opener.  It showed me how much I can accomplish and do, if I make an effort.  It was also exhausting.  Not just physically, but mentally.  I’m so used to living in my curated bubble that it was difficult to constantly be out of my comfort zone doing and experiencing new things.  However, at the end of the day and looking back at the week, it was exactly what I needed.  Looking forward to many more weeks like this one!!!  Until next week, peace out!!





Comments

  1. I love so much about this post! You’re clearly putting in the effort for yourself - and your family. I especially love your therapist’s insight, I think they made an important point to not just do things to check them off a list. I think having this blog will help you make those connections between experiences and personal meaning/growth that I think will help stave off that option. And setting up that playdate for Alana (and you) is so awesome to hear! It DOES take a lot of effort to keep all those things moving for our kids. As much as I want to monopolize my kiddos’ time, soccer and Girl Scouts and play dates and gymnastics and swim lessons are helping my kids grow and learn and it’s really hard feeling like I have to set them up myself or else they won’t happen at all. Kudos to you for stepping up and also for noticing that! Keep the posts coming! And the photos/videos!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Change is on the horizon

I Licked a Toad and I Liked It